Developing the appropriate housing and packaging for the product is a process of design and modeling that is completely maintained at Heatron. Having only one company proving all of these services saves crucial time in the development process and limits overhead costs that would result in using multiple manufacturing facilities.
Housing / Package Design
- Mechanical and industrial design of product housing
- Programs used include SolidWorks®, Autocad® and Rhino®.
- Ability to import customer’s data for design verification.
- Heat Sink function evaluation (cosmetic vs. thermal management needs)
- Design for ease of assembly in production to maintain low overall cost.
- Design for ease of use by end customer.
- Time savings: virtual model instead of proof of concept / prototypes
- Validation: renderings can be used to verify the aesthetic/cosmetic appearance
- Flexibility: Heatron is capable of rendering component level products through complete final assemblies
- Quality: rendering quality is high enough to use in marketing literature by customer
Heat Sink Design
- Thermal design constraint is often customer’s housing size, shape or need to maintain certain cosmetic appearance.
- An engineered thermal solution is typically needed to achieve the best balance between the need to radiate heat and maintain cosmetics.
- Heatron is able to create the heat sink design and estimate the expected thermal performance using FEA and/or CFD computer modeling and analysis
- Thermal modeling can minimize the number of iterations and help customers bring the product to market sooner.
- Actual performance can then be verified against modeled performance during the prototype stage.
- Gerbers are required for all Aluminum and FR4 board types
- Heatron uses OrCAD or Altium Layout for Gerber generation
- Requirements for Heatron proceed with a Layout (Gerber Generation)
- Board outline (DXF format preferred)
- Bill of Materials (BOM, XLS format preferred)
- Schematic (PDF preferred)
- Material options that are available (Can affect cost)
- Solder mask (SMOBC)
- Copper plating thickness
- Surface finish
- Base metal (thickness and material)
- Elpor Al
- Elpor AL-T
- FR 4
- FR 4 with copper flooded thermal vias
- Thermal Clad (T-Clad) Thermal SubstratesThrough an alliance with The Bergquist Company, Heatron offers Thermal Clad – a complete thermal management system unlike the traditional technology that uses heat sinks, clips and other mounting hardware.
Heatron offers a range of optional board technologies. Our commitment and dedication to technological advancements in this industry will continue to strengthen our position and capabilities as more technologies evolve into valid components. Heatron’s depth in manufacturing and design capabilities will adapt along with the technologies, and we’ll use our expertise to continuously evaluate effectiveness and opportunity across the technology platforms. Click here for a PDF of Heatron’s Design Rules