Application Spotlight: BEV and FCEV
Electric Vehicles come in many flavors, but the most popular are Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV). These descriptors refer to how the energy is stored in the vehicle. The vehicle can be anything from a scooter to a drone to a car to an airplane. The common characteristic is that electricity powers and propels the vehicle.
However you store the energy and regardless of the use case of the vehicle, there will be a need for heating elements.
- Batteries need to be preconditioned in colder weather to maintain performance.
- Fuel Cells need to maintain a certain temperature range to enable the chemical reactions neccessary for function.
- Any EV that has an occupant will need to heat the cabin in cold climates.
- Further, there a luxury heating requirements for manned vehicles such as heated charge port, heated mirrors, seats, exterior door handles and steering wheels. Also, large screens (LCD or OLED) will operate with a diminished response time/refresh rate in very cold temperatures.
Heatron makes several varieties for heating elements in these different applications.
- Heatron makes silicon rubber flexible heating elements for smaller sized batteries in aerospace applications.
- Heatron makes flexible polyester heating elements for batteries in vehicles, transportation and lift trucks.
- Heatron makes silicon rubber and Kapton flexible heating elements as well cartidge heating elements and tubular heating element assemblies for use in hydrogen fuel cell systems.
The solution can be as varied as the application.